Why quality sleep is essential and how we can help you to sleep well
Why quality of sleep is important
An occasional poor night’s sleep may make you feel tired and irritable the next day, but won’t harm your health. But if you regularly have sleepless nights, the mental effects become more serious.
- Your brain will fog, making it difficult for you to concentrate and make decisions.
- You’ll start to feel down
- You may fall asleep during the day
- Your risk of injury and accidents at home, work and on the road also increases.
If lack of sleep becomes a regular thing it can affect your overall health and make you prone to serious medical conditions, such as obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
In contrast, regular, quality sleep has many key benefits.
- Sleep boosts mental wellbeing
- Sleep contributes to reducing the risk of diabetes, heart disease and some cancers
- Sleep helps regulate blood pressure
- Sleep helps prevent weight gain
- Sleep increases sex drive
- Sleep increases fertility
How we can help you sleep better
Most of us need around eight hours of good-quality sleep each night to function properly. Some people will need more, and some people will need less. What is important is that you know how much sleep you need and then try to achieve it.
A variety of factors can cause poor sleep, including health conditions, but mostly it is due to bad sleeping habits.
Our Health Trainers can support you to establish a better sleep routine and advise on any lifestyle changes you may need to make to support you with achieving better sleep, such as:
- Changing what you eat
- Drinking less alcohol
- Getting more active, more often
- Reducing stress levels
- Becoming smoke free
They can provide personalised one-to-one sessions at a venue close to where you work, live, study or your local GP Practice.
For personalised support, information, motivation or guidance to look after your emotional and physical health call The Wellbeing Service on 01254 682037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone lines are open 09:00-17:00 Monday to Friday