Why is mental well-being important?
We all want to feel good about ourselves and the world around us and be able to get the most from our lives. There is also evidence that good mental well-being is important for our physical health.
Five Ways to Well-being
Evidence suggests there are five steps we can take to improve our mental well-being.
- Connect – connect with people around you: your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. Spend time developing those relationships.
- Be Active – you don’t have to go to the gym. Take a walk, go cycling, or play a game of football. Find an activity that you enjoy and make it part of your life.
- Keep Learning – learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. Why not sign up to a cooking course, start learning to play a musical instrument or figure out how to fix your bike.
- Give to Others – even the smallest act can count, whether it’s a smile, a thank you or a kind word. Larger acts, such as volunteering at your local community centre, can improve your mental well-being and help you build new social networks.
- Take Notice – be more aware of the present moment, including your feelings and thoughts, your body and the world around you. Some people call this awareness ‘mindfulness’ and it can positively change the way you feel about your life and how you approach challenges.
For more information and relevant services, please see the related links below.
- Movement and Relaxation for New Mums and Mums to Be
- Newground – Engaging Vulnerable Young People
- DIY Shabby Chic and Furniture Restoration
- Changing Lives
- The Community Living Room
- Big White Wall
- The Silver Line
- Lancashire LGBT
- PAPYRUS (Prevention Of Young Suicide)
- GIFTS (Group Intervention for Therapeutic Support)
- Cruse Bereavement Care
- Lancashire Health and Wellbeing Centre
- Organised Chaos
- Here to Help
- Blackburn with Darwen Mindcare
- Wellbeing Service
- Lancashire Women’s Centres
- Everybody Young Persons Resource Centre
- Lancashire Mind Ltd
- Counselling Directory